Many people would find the title confronting and would not read it, ignore it or be in denial. Lots of students claim that before they discovered kpop they were a witty clever student. Thus blaming their demise in grades and good study habits on kpop. Kpop may have been a catalyst however is not the sole problem. The problem is insufficient time management and the fear of failing.
Everybody is afraid of failing whether it’d be an exam, grade, interview or audition. Thus people feed upon kpop as a distraction preventing them to confront that maths exam next week or science project. People are afraid of trying their best and still failing rather than trying half heartedly and failing and can blame the fact that they didn’t try.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It’s not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. ” - Taken from the movie Coach Carter (2005)
Having read that, time management seems to also be a crucial challenge for many people. You are in control of how much Kpop media you consume. No one is forcing you to watch a whole 16 episode drama in one night, No one is going to hunt you down because you haven’t seen the latest mv. The way i like to think of it is Kpop is like sleep. The more Kpop media you consume the harder it is to reduce, just like when you sleep longer on weekends it’s difficult to reduce the amount of sleep and wake up early on Monday morning.
You can overcome this by :
- setting time limits on the computer/laptop when you’re consuming kpop media
- prioritising! Complete your homework and revise, once finished Kpop can be used as a reward whatever that form may be such as tumblr, youtube, dailymotion.You will definitely feel much better and not guilty about putting off work !
- think positively! Don’t be afraid to fail, you’d think we’re afraid to fail so we try harder but in reality it doesn’t work that way :P Start tasks as early as possible, do less homework over more nights rather than alot of homework in one night. This way you can have more time for your rewards!
- ‘Realists do not fear the results of their study’ If you know that you studied the night before a test panicked, stressed, you’re not going to be expecting spectacular results. Put in as much effort for the results that you want. Make sure the amount of effort adds up to what your goal is !
- Set false deadlines and finished these projects by this set deadline
Kpop is not your life, it is an interest. You have far more important things in your life such as your studies, friends, family, work, dreams and goals. Balancing your time with studies and interests would result in guilt free kpop spazzing over a newly released mv and grades that you are happy with :)
Good luck !
Kpoprealitycheck: I am not succeeding well in school because of my time management resulting in stress and a love hate relationship with kpop.
I can change by simply balancing my time EQUALLY with my studies and what i enjoy. I do not have to give up Kpop completely, i have to know the limits.
I have self control.
Other: To enlighten you all below are some images of Idols graduation days. These Idols have had the high school experience ( most likely in special circumstances though) and definitely worked hard to get where they are now! Get Inspired and hit the books!
Above: SHINee’s Minho
Above: SNSD’s Seohyun
Above: U-Kiss’s Dongho